Sunday, July 5, 2009

über dem Atlantik

I'm here!!! Finally! There was a lot of turbulence, so it was a little scary, but there was lots to take my mind of it! I watched 'He's Just Not That Into You' and 'I Love You, Man' and then a few episodes of 'Big Bang Theory.' We made it though! The dorms are nice and really comfortable, my roommate is super sweet, I've made tons of friends, and I'm in the most gorgeous place in the world... Life is good!

The first thing we did was unpack, obviously. Then I got my phone! The number is 011436763606937. What a ballin number!? After that Caitlin and I went on a walk on all of the little streets around the dorm. We are literally on the mountain, and everywhere you look are more mountains! They are so huge.. it really puts everything into perspective. I feel like this place is so inspirational and I am just in awe of all that God has created!
That night we had an orientation and then we went to a lot of the local pubs. One is called Hoftgarten and it is literally in the middle of a park. Its was crazy. It reminded me of a bar like in Panama City. Apparently its beach week, but I'm not going to lie, I was a little disappointed at how Americanized it was. We did go to one beer garden that we super chill and really relaxing!
The next day we were able to sleep in and get over our jet lag. We had a really relaxing day and were able to explore the city a little bit more. We kinda of got our bearings and figured out where to get like the basics. We climbed up into the Zum Turm tower which was absolutely beautiful! We had this amazing view of the city and the mountains. We also were able to see the ski jump from the Olympics which looked awesome!
That night we had the Opening Ceremony. It was really shawnky and fancy. We all got dressed up and listened to speeches from the Academic Director, the mayor of Innsbruck, and a representative from the government of Tirol (the state we are living in). It was very cool. I think the highlight of the night though was meeting President Mike Adams, UGA's president. He was so personable and was very willing to just have a normal conversation.
After the ceremony, we had dinner where we ran into a very nice Austrian who studied abroad at UNO during his undergrad. After dinner he showed us around to the pubs where the REAL locals go! It was much, MUCH cooler than the pubs we went to the first night!

This morning we had our walking tour of campus and figured out how to get to our classes. We have had a pretty chill day and everyone seems to be resting up for classes to start tomorrow. There is a get together tonight that is up the mountain that we are taking cable cars to, so that should be lots of fun!

I will try to keep y'all posted as best as possible, but computers and internet are hard to come by! I don't think that I will have a chance to post any pictures until I get home so yall are just going to have to watch 'The Sound of Music' and imagine how beautiful Innsbruck is!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds literally awesome.
    love dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad things are going so well. Everything sounds wonderful and it's very pleasing to hear such excitement in your voice! Be safe and continue having an awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, your Aunt Nancy here,
    Don't forget that if you have a weekend free that Hanni has offered to come and get you and show you around Zurich. You are going to stay with her at her new house. You have all her contact numbers don't you? She's also cool if you bring Courtney, is that the girl who traveled with you?
    Have fun and enjoy the beautiful country there!
    Love You, Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete