Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Homemade Gifts & My New Shop

As promised.. Here are some pictures of the projects I worked on last week. I only got a picture of one of the stationary orders, BUT Jamie’s were very similar to these as well. Jonathan (my roommate Megan’s boyfriend) ordered these for his little sister Mallory’s 12th birthday! Isn’t he a sweet big brother?!




Everything you see I made—the portfolio, the envelopes (lined btw), obvio the cards, the initial stickers, and the note pad. The going rate is $8 for a set of 6, but that includes the portfolio, the cards, matching lined envelopes, initial (or monogram) stickers, and I will probably throw in a note pad just because they’re fun to make!

Here is my recent predicament. I am on a self-imposed budget CRUNCH! I know that after my last paycheck on July 31st, I will be working out of my savings for the next year and a half, so its my goal to have as much $$ in there as possible. I have a magic number that I’m shooting for, but I know that its going to take a lot of effort to get to that number. I’ve already cut back by drastically on my spending (which wasn’t much before) and I am really tracking my spending. Not only do I have a move to Europe to fund, but lots of weddings this summer (and showers this spring) and hopefully, kids to take to nationals! Why does everyone need my money?! =)

Jamie’s bridal shower was this weekend I am saying all that to say that I don’t really have a million dollars (or even $20) in my budget to go buy a gift and that is exactly how much it would take to buy a substantial enough gift to convey my love to Jamie (jk). Anyway, instead of buying a gift I opted to make her one instead. Does anyone have a strong opinion about homemade gifts? Positive or negative I’d love some feedback. I have lots more showers coming up this spring and I want to know if it’s a major faux pas to give homemade gifts.

I designed and made her a set of 6 note cards (with a portfolio—the whole shebang) and a magnetic notepad that said ‘Jamie and Jeff’ on it. It was pretty cute if I do say so myself. I also made her this wreath. I figured that it was neutral enough to go with any color scheme, but I had to add a little yellow.


I got the idea here, but obvio I didn’t use that material or put a birds nest on it.. Really, I just liked the ruffle. It was my first time making fabric rosettes. I really like the way they look and it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be!

All this was really just to wet y’alls appetite.. In an effort to reach my magic ‘Move to Europe’ number, I’m adding a new section to the blog.. A SHOP! Since everything is custom I’m not doing a shopping cart or anything like that. I’m going to have pictures up of the products I’m offering. If you are interested in any of it, email me the specifics (how many, what colors, etc.) and I will create it especially for you! If you are in the Athens or Bremen area there is not a shipping cost because I can deliver it to you personally (really that is just an excuse to get to see your face!) If you are further away, shipping will be $3. So head on over to the shop, browse, and BUY SOMETHING!! Please?!

I would also like to add that I'm currently in the market for a flexible summer job.  I would prefer a nannying job in the Bremen area, but beggars can't be choosers.  Just putting it out there in case any of y'all out in blog world know someone in the market for a summer nanny!

No comments:

Post a Comment