Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Shine

I'm obsessed with this blog.  



I can't even remember how I stumbled across it, but I'm obsessed!  This sounds amazingly stalkerish but I pretty much want to be this woman!  She has a beautifully designed house, 4 gorgeous children, a supportive husband, great faith, and a successful small business.  She gets to stay home with the kids, she does int. design as a hobby, she has great taste design wise as well as in clothes.  Such an inspiration!

I will say that her blog has probably inspired my new tendency towards neutrals. She has also inspired lots of different projects from my Christmas presents this year to the ornaments my club made at our party.  Everything she does looks so classy and put together but is ridiculously inexpensive to put together!

Amongst the posts about her new projects and new designs she sometimes posts amazingly inspirational thoughts on scripture.  Today's post was about one of my all time favorite pieces of scripture.

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.   Matthew 5.16 (NIV)

If you were in Y-Club during my year as Chaplain you heard devotion after devotion about this scripture.  Its my favorite.

I've never been one that likes to talk about my faith.  Growing up in youth group, I always felt like there was this big push to get out there and talk about Jesus and save people and frankly.. I just wasn't comfortable doing that.  Not in a you just need to get out of your comfort-zone kind of not comfortable mind you, it was a crippling, panic attack inducing, freaking out kind of uncomfortable.  It's not my thing.   

When I read this scripture I feel like, despite my inability to go out there and convert the non-believers (please read that last bit with as much sarcasm as you possess), I can still be an example of God's love through my deeds.  I think that is when I started developing a heart for service.  That is also when I started my daily prayer that I will behave in a way that others may see Christ through me.  I have since added that God grant me the patience to interact with my little middle school babies so that I am a good example of God's love for them.

Today's post, while about my favorite scripture, made me think about it differently.  She referenced a version of the passage that I have never heard, but that I LOVE.  Its from the Message.

Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

How inspirational!!  She also made this print.. I might just have to buy this one to help me remember to be generous with my life!!

Here it is in her office.

Remember to shine!

1 comment: