Friday, July 8, 2011

“Y’all Can Go To…

hell, I’m going to Texas”  Davy Crocket

I saw this on a coffee cup and I REALLY want it on a koozie.. Just saying, keep an eye out! 

Mama and I went out to Texas to meet my AuPair family.  Talk about a nerve racking situation.  Imagine meeting your employer only after you’ve gotten the job!  Plus these are the folks that I will be living with for the next 15 months.  I think that everyone seriously and sincerely wanted to get along! 

Thank goodness we hit it off!  Mareike and Stefan are great and very genuine!  Their dynamics seem to be very similar to my mom and dads, so something I’m comfortable with.  They are very easy to talk to and seem as sincerely interested in making this a great experience for me as I am for them.

As for Bennet… I’m in love!  He is the sweetest, most laid back, easy going baby I’ve ever met!  And I get to take care of him for my job?!  How did I get this lucky?!  I’m so excited that I will get to see him grow and see that personality develop even more!

Mama and I flew into Dallas/Fort Worth.  They picked us up at the airport and we went to the Dallas Arboretum where we had a lovely picnic lunch with lots of German food and the best potato salad I’ve ever had!  After that we walked around a bit, but it was hot and Bennet was sweating a lot so we called it a day! 
The Greilers live in Wichita Falls, TX which is about 2 hours north of DFW.  Since we were only there for like 36 hours instead of spending all that time driving we all stayed in down town Fort Worth. 
(I must share this.. I used my reward night from hotels.com so we stayed at the Hilton for $30!! I love getting a good deal!)

We all got cleaned up and met up for dinner.  We went to a Brazilian steakhouse, which I had never been to.  It is basically a really high class buffet.  You pay a certain amount and you help yourself to the ridiculous salad bar (orzo pasta salad, sundried tomatoes, 5 different tyes of cheese including grilled mozzarella and parmesan carved out of a big wheel) and lobster bisque (yes please!).  Then at your table you flip a little card over and these guys with big ol skewers of meat come by and carve you a piece.  I had the top sirloin, garlic pork, and bacon wrapped filet mingon (the best).  SO tasty!  Mama and I even splurged and got key lime pie!  I took that opportunity to give presents.  Bennet is turning one in August and they will be in Germany so I wanted to go ahead and give him his birthday presents.  I got him some connecting toys and I made him a shirt to wear on his 1st!  Let me just say, its hard to find shorts for little boys that aren’t cargo shorts (its like they are trying to make little GDIs) but I did it!  I also made Mareike and Stefan a plaque for their house with their last name on it.  It’s how I show that I like someone.. I make things =)

After dinner, the Greilers headed back because it was Bennet’s bedtime.  Mama and I walked around the downtown area a bit more and then headed back ourselves.  It had been a long day!  The next morning we met up with them for breakfast in the Hilton Honors lounge.  We stayed up there for a good 2 hours just talking and playing with Bennet.  While at breakfast the Greiler’s asked if we were by chance interested in going to a Rangers game because they had 4 free tickets.  Um, do wookchucks chuck wood?  Heck yes I want to go to a baseball game!  After breakfast we went over to the stockyards (the old part of Fort Worth) and we saw a cattle drive!  Then we grabbed a quick bite and headed to the game.  They lost but it was still a great game.  I always enjoy rooting against the Mets.  We had to leave the game a bit early to make our flight (which in the end ended up being delayed for a few hours because of the rain in Atlanta, but no one knew until we were already on the plane).




All in all, while we weren’t out there for long, we did a lot and got to spend a good amount of time together.  All that anxiety about would we like each other is GONE and I’m more excited about my new adventure than ever!  

No comments:

Post a Comment