Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Party Cupcakes!


Hi there Pinterest friends! Thanks so much for stopping by!

I just want to let y'all know that there are more spiked cupcakes over on my new blog. The new blog has a new post every weekday and is all about healthy, sustainable living and eating, a smattering of travel, and some great music.




Hi guys!  I have now officially moved to Wichita Falls, Texas to begin my Au Pair job!  We will be here for a couple months and then we will all be moving to Germany.  I will have pictures of the house, the family, and Bennet soon, but not today!  Today I thought I'd share some recipes with y'all!  

On Saturday (the day before I left for Texas), I went to Atlanta for the UGA/Boise St spanking game.  Of course I couldn't go to a tailgate empty handed so I headed over to trusty ol' Pinterest to see if I could get inspired.  Inspired I got and decided to make an assortment of alcoholic cupcakes.  I made Irish Car Bombs and Strawberry Margarita cupcakes from recipes I found on Pinterest.  Based off the recipe for the Strawberry Margarita cupcakes, I made up recipes for a Spiked Raspberry Lemonade cupcake and a Hurricane cupcake.  All were a success except the spiked lemonade.  It was a bit bland and spongy for my taste, but I was very pleased with the Hurricane!    Here are the links to the recipes for the Irish Car Bomb and the Strawberry Margarita.  Of course I forgot to take pictures, but here is the Hurricane cupcake recipe! Keep in mind I was making an assortment so this is just for making 8 cupcakes (3 for each tailgate and 2 to eat right away taste to make sure they weren't awful.

Hurricane Cupcakes
yield 8

Ingredients:
Cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp of salt
¼ cup, 2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/3 of an egg, at room temperature
2/3 orange, zested and juiced
¼ tsp of vanilla extract
¼ cup, 2 tbsp buttermilk 

Hurricane Puree:
2 oz of hurricane mix
Zest of 1/3 of a orange
2 tbsp or rum
2 tsp of sugar 
1 tbsp cornstarch

Frosting:
¼ cup, 2 tbsp shortening
¼ cup, 2 tbsp un-salted butter, slightly chilled
1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp rum
1 tbsp puree

Instructions:
For the cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 325˚ F.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir with a fork to blend.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.

Blend in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Beat in the zest, juice and vanilla.

With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.  Beat each addition just until incorporated.

Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling each about ¾ full.  Bake 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely

For the filling:
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor.  Mix and then set aside.

Using a small paring knife, cut a cone out of the top of each cupcake. Remove the cut-out cake and spoon a tablespoon of the puree into each cupcake. Replace the top part of the cone, cutting the tip to leave room for the filling.

For the frosting:
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and butter on high until well mixed and fluffy.

Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time alternating with a tablespoon at a time of the puree. Mix until the frosting is thick and creamy, like the consistency of ice cream. Spread or pipe on cupcakes.

Top with a cherry and enjoy!


Jill, me, and Ashley perfecting the lean while waiting on MARTA.

1 comment:

  1. I think the recipe for your filling is missing something. It reads 2 tbsp, then it's blank after the zest before the sugar.

    ReplyDelete