Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You?

10 years ago, I was 13.  I was sitting in Ms. Hjertstrom’s class when Emily Vinson came back to school from an orthodontist appointment.  She told us that a plane had hit the World Trade Center.  I didn’t believe her.  It was so inconceivable to me, that I just didn’t believe it.  A few hours later school was over and I made my way to Ms. Cain’s room for cheerleading practice.  That was when I saw it on TV.  Needless to say I don’t think we practiced.  We just sat there and watched. 

I don’t think that as a middle schooler I could really understand what all had just happened.  It was too overwhelming to process.  Even now, 10 years later, it’s still hard to process.  It’s weird to me that Al Quaeda and Osama bin Laden weren’t always a part of our lives.  It’s hard for me to remember a time when we were not at war. 

I thought that the ceremonies held today were beautifully handled and incredibly respectful to the families that lost loved ones that day.  My prayers are with those families.  My prayers are with the families that have lost loved ones in the war.  And my prayers are with the men and women that are currently serving our country.  Thank you for your sacrifices.    

No comments:

Post a Comment