Friday, October 7, 2011

Koozie Tutorial


Hi there Pinterest friends! Thanks so much for stopping by!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me! While this personal blog was a great outlet for my creativity at the time, it is no longer updated or checked regularly as my professional blog is now a full time job in an of itself!

 The new blog has a new post every weekday and is all about healthy, sustainable living and eating, a smattering of travel, and some great music.




Remember the koozie I showed you here?  Well today, I'm going to show y'all how to make one for yourself!


These are completely customizable according to what you're liking at the moment!  I made this one pretty masculine because it is for a guy, but... if I were to make another for me, I'd probably be using some chevron fabric.  Just sayin'...

Anyway, here is what you'll need:

an old koozie (for sizing)
1/4 yd of your chosen fabric
1/4 yd of the double sided fusible web (found in the fabric section at hobby lobby)
8x10 sheet of felt
1 pkg of snaps
snap tool (what are those called anyway?)
pen or sharpie
scissors
iron
sewing machine (or just needle and thread if you want to do it by hand)
needle

First thing you will need to do is lay out your old koozie on the fabric and trace.  This will give you the size of your new koozie!  Trace and cut.



Lay fabric on your felt.  Trace and cut.


Put your fabric off to the side for a bit, because we are just going to be working with the felt and the fusible web.  Cut off a piece of the fusible web that is a little bit bigger than your felt.  


Iron your fusible web to the felt.  Start in the middle and work your way towards the sides.  Make sure there aren't bubbles.  Iron for about 30 seconds.  Make sure you are ironing on the paper side of the fusible web.  

In hindsight, I would have put a piece of parchment paper underneath my felt so that the adhesive wouldn't have melted onto my towel.. Oh well.. 


Trim off the extra and use your scissors to score the paper. 


Then peel the paper off.  The adhesive will have adhered to the felt and this side of the felt will definitely feel a little rubbery.


Now I'm going to apologize because I don't have picutres of this next step.  I just forgot to take them!  Oops!

Next you are going to grab your fabric and lay it pretty side down on your ironing board (or towel in my case).  Layer your felt on top making sure that the adhesive side is the side that is touching your fabric (meaning the the felt side is facing you).  Then you are going to iron it for 30 seconds, starting in the middle and working your way out.  This will adhere the felt to your fabric.  

Trim off any areas where they don't match up exactly and make sure that you like the shape.

Next we are going to quilt a bit!  I went with straight vertical lines, but you can do anything you want!  Just make sure the you tie it off on the ends (or back stitch) so that your stitch doesn't come out!


After you got your quilting done, its time to put on the snaps.  I don't have any magic instructions for this part.  This was the first time I've put snaps on like this so I just followed the instructions on the package!  The only thing that I will say is to make sure that everything is lined up when you close it.  Also, make sure that it will fit around whatever you are wanting to to fit around.  


After your snaps are on, stitch around the outside of the whole thing and you can be done!


unless.... you want to add some embellishments!  

I chose some sturdy red fabric and stamped the words 'glory, glory' on it.  Then I placed it on the koozie where I wanted it (centered) and then stitched around it.


Obviously, I didn't want strings sticking out the front of the koozie, so I threaded both strings on a needle and pushed them through to the back.


Then I tied them off with the strings that were on the back and trimmed.   I did the same thing with the strings from when I stitched around the whole koozie, so that the front looked nice and clean!


And there you have it!  You're ready for a great Saturday of tailgating!! 


Glory, glory to ole Georgia!
Go Dawgs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment